Having a clear understanding of the state of your email marketing channel is vital in the success of your ecommerce brand. In this article, we will break down the exact steps you can take to perform an in-depth Klaviyo account audit and gain a profound understanding of your data.
General Performance Of The Account:
To kick things off, we want to analyse the general performance of the account. These numbers can be found under the “Performance” tab in the Klaviyo dashboard.
A few key questions to ask when analysing this section are:
- What is the total email marketing revenue?
- What is the breakdown of the campaign and flow revenue?
- What is the total percentage of business revenue coming directly from email/SMS?
After gaining an understanding of the general performance of the account, it’s time to dive a bit deeper and analyse the current flows/automations that are in place.
The following are a list of the core flows every eCommerce brand should have up and running:
- Welcome Series
- Abandoned Checkout Series
- Add to Cart Abandonment Series
- Browse Abandonment Series
- Site Abandonment Series
- Post-Purchase Series
- Customer Winback Series
- Back In Stock Series
For each of these flows, you want to analyse how many emails are in each automation, the time delays between each email in the flows and whether there are any incentives for the customers.
Campaigns are the one-off emails that you send to your audience and can be either promotional or educational. These are the following:
How many campaigns are being sent out per week?
- Are these campaigns being sent out on a consistent basis? Or are they being sent randomly with no real strategy behind them?
- How much revenue are these campaigns generating compared to flows?
- Are these campaigns purely promotional, purely educational, or a mix of both?
Are campaigns being sent out to segmented audiences?
- If so, what are the main segments that are being used?
- If not, brainstorm some key segments that can be used to send highly targeted and personalised emails.
Understanding your analytics will allow you to make data-informed decisions and improve your overall performance. You can navigate to your “Analytics” tab in your dashboard and here you will find a variety of different metrics.
You want to see if your key email metrics are in a healthy range:
- Review your open rate over the past 90 days
- Review your click-through rate over the past 90 days
- Review your spam rate over the past 90 days
- Review your bounce rate over the past 90 days
- Review your unsubscribe rate over the past 90 days
These are benchmarks issued by Klaviyo:
Analysing and understanding your eCommerce brand’s overall performance is crucial for its long term success. If you take the time to go through all these steps laid out, you will gain deeper insights into the shortcomings of your current email strategy, which you can then work on improving.